1. Be kind.
2. Be patient.
3. Make a packing list.
4. Be prepared for anything.
5. When flying, carry a change of clothes and underwear.
6. Keep your medications with you when you fly.
7. Take candy or treats to the airline attendants.You may not think they work hard, but they take a lot of junk from passengers.
8. If your luggage gets lost be prepared.
9. Take pictures of your luggage and items. Make a detailed list before you leave. If you need reimbursement it will be worth it.
10. If you’re driving watch your gas gauge. Sometimes gas stations can be few and far between.
11. Double check all hotel reservations for correct date before you book it. We have made a mistake or two. 12. Treat everyone that serves you with kindness and with the way you would like to be treated if you were in their job.
13. If you have a complaint, do it with kindness or keep it to yourself.
14. If you cruise, be extra kind to your room steward and dining servers.
Most of them work 12 to 14 hour days and 6 to 7 days a week. There may be a language barrier. Work with it.
15. Use free Wi-Fi whenever possible.
16. Check with your phone carrier for the cost of international Wi-Fi. It might be worth it.
17. Always carry your purse, wallet or backpack in the front. Walk as if you own the place and be aware.
18. If a small child, in a foreign country or any country, seems to latch on to you and wants to hang out with you, be cautious. Chances are they may be learning to pickpocket. Happened to us in Athens. We were not aware of what was going on, but we practice purse safety so nothing happened. They were really cute little boys. 19. Make a copy of your passport and leave it with a friend.
20. Send an email of your passport to yourself.
21. Money belts are not necessary, if you use caution. If they make you feel better, wear one.
22. Hold on to the strap of your purse or backpack at all times.
23. Take pictures that you want to see in 10 years. Or take as many as you want and then delete.
24. If you are in the Middle East dress appropriately. It will be appreciated. Dress appropriately anyway.
25. If you visit Vatican City make sure your shoulder and knees are covered. If not you won’t be allowed in.
26. If you are visiting Europe and have a disability, check out sagetraveling.com. I do not get anything for referring him, but he has an excellent site for the disabled traveling in Europe.
27. Wear comfortable shoes. If someone tells you that you will look like a tourist, do it anyway. You will save your feet and you are a tourist.
28. New York City is wonderful. But where are the public bathrooms? Try Starbucks or McDonalds. There may be a line but they are free.
29. Be positive and have fun.
30. Make wonderful memories.